Universidad del Sagrado Corazón is the oldest private educational institution in Puerto Rico. It was established in 1880 by the religious order of the Society of the Sacred Heart as an all-girls school. In 1935, the government recognized its higher education offerings and the Colegio Universitario del Sagrado Corazón was established. In 1970, the Sisters of the Sacred Heart transferred the governance of the Institution to a lay Board of Trustees; in 1972 a coeducational policy was approved, and in 1976, the official name was changed to Universidad del Sagrado Corazón.
USH is located on thirty two (32) acres of urban property in the heart of metropolitan San Juan. The 1907 Main Administration Building, the Portico and Chapel are listed in the National Register of Historic Sites.